Regarding the Future of DarCraft...

Discussion in 'Server News and Announcements' started by Darren, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Darren

Darren DaRr3n911
    Staff Member Owner

To my fellow Darcraftians,

I wanted to make an announcement to let you all know that DarCraft will be shutting down at the beginning of May 2019. It may not come as a surprise to most of you, but it is going to be hard saying goodbye. To give you a bit of perspective, I started this server on November 3rd, 2011, when I was 14 years old. Now, over 7 years later, I am a 21-year-old attending university.

Like many of you, I grew up with DarCraft being a huge part of my life. I spent countless hours on the server talking to my fellow Darcraftians while trying to make it as safe and as fun of a place as possible for everyone. Through the server I was able to discover my passion for computers and programming, which has led me to study Computer Science at a university in hopes to grow my knowledge and work with computers for a living. I was also, like many of you, able to meet lifelong friends – some of which are undoubtedly the closest friends I’ve ever had.

Unfortunately, DarCraft just isn’t sustainable anymore. Despite our various attempts at bringing players back through new features we’ve attempted over the past few years, it has become increasingly difficult to maintain a strong player base when the game is slowly losing its’ popularity. Along with that, I have been overwhelmed with university classes, leaving me little time to spend on maintaining the server. Since I have failed to maintain the server like I used to be able to when I was younger, DarCraft has lost most of its’ player base, and along with it, our income used to pay the server fees. So, unfortunately, we will need to shut down.

That being said, it is hard for me to say goodbye. DarCraft was once a flourishing server, at one point reaching Top 175 on Planet Minecraft’s server list during the peak days of Minecraft, I am proud of what we all created. I will cherish the memories made on the server for as long as I can, as will I cherish each and every one of you for making my 14-year-old self’s dreams come true. I never expected DarCraft to last this long, let alone blow up into something that was self-sustainable for over 7 years.

So, in the beginning of May, DarCraft will be shut down indefinitely. This isn’t to say that DarCraft can’t come back in the future, possibly in the form of a Minecraft Realm or even in another game, but for now we will need to say goodbye. I will always cherish one of the things I am most proud of in my life so far – DarCraft. Not just the server, but the community we created and everything that came of it. Whether it be the lifelong friendships created, my knowledge of computers and programming, or anything else, DarCraft is and always will be something that I will look back at in unending appreciation.

If you want to stay connected to Darcraftians both now and past the reset, please join our Discord server. I, as well as many others, are always quick to reply to messages and jump into conversations. We will also be posting more information regarding the shutdown there within the next few weeks. If you want to stay connected with me, you can follow my Instagram or simply message me on the Discord server.

So, to each and every one of you (yes, even those banned multiple times), thank you for making my dreams come true. I hope you had as much fun as I did.

Until we meet again,

Darren Vasquez (DaRr3n911)

2. AdamZeDuck

AdamZeDuck Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

ARC Berry, minestormer7 and Darren like this.
  3. Mathias

Mathias Dankmin
    Staff Member Admin

I'ts been sad seeing DarCraft slowly decrease in popularity the last years and now unfortunately has to shut down. DarCraft has also been a huge part of my life and has also given me countless of memories and fun times. In addition to that it's also led me to a bunch of cool new people who I still regularly talk with and hope continue talk with.

I've also spent a huge part of my life on this server, I think I started playing DarCraft in 2012, got moderator in 2014 as a 14 year old and later admin in I think 2015. At the time it was probably my lifelong dream and now I'm 18 years old and work in the military for the Norwegian Cyberdefence.

<3

Darren and ARC Berry like this.
  4. Bholt

Bholt Active Member

Even though I've had my ups and downs with Darcraft, I will never regret joining that first time in August 2013. This server has given me so many memories, most of them not even being on the server, but through chatting, playing other games, and even meeting up with people that I met through playing on Darcraft. Even though this is just a little Minecraft server to some, to me, this server helped me make some of the best friends I have ever, and possibly will ever have. Shoutout to 14-year-old Darren for turning a little dream into a community where people could always find someone to talk to; and even those who felt odd or different in the real world could create or find a group of friends where they didn't feel like an outsider, but simply a kid having fun in a world full of pixels.

P.S. Give me OP since I have top overall playtime :)

Darren and ARC Berry like this.
  5. EmpoweredRabbit

EmpoweredRabbit Founder
    Staff Member Founder

Gonna be really weird not seeing DarCraft pinged as active on my server list. Thinking back to when I first joined on my mom’s old MacBook in 2011 In the early days of the server, it’s insane remembering how much DarCraft and it’s players have all grown over the ~8 years of its existence. It took so many forms, with the PVP Faction server, FreezeTagNetwork, the Survival Games, all of it. I’ll be really sad to see it go. I’ve made some lifelong friends that I’m extremely greatful for, and I’ll never forget where it all started.

Gonna try and update this post with links to any screenshots or videos I have for the sake of nostalgia. Recently had my oldest hard drive fail, but fingers crossed!

Old DC Logo

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Darren likes this.
  6. Lord_Ajax

Lord_Ajax Active Member

Damn. Thanks for being great friends guys; sorry I've been inactive

ARC Berry likes this.
  7. Ninjazzzzzz

Ninjazzzzzz Member

Dang rip, the time's really flown by hasn't it?
    Throwback to when I first joined and was jailed in less than 10 minutes for griefing lmao

Sad to see the server go, but glad I got to play on it as a kid.

Darren likes this.
  8. Mr. B

Mr. B Member

Sad to see DarCraft go. I've had over 3 years of memories here, man how time flies. I've made a lot of friends on DC, some I still talk with to this day. Hopefully some day it can return. (and yes, I'm the guy that got demoted like a year ago)

Darren likes this.
  9. ARC Berry

ARC Berry Active Member

So I'm not going to lie I haven't been on here as much and that was mainly because I was having more fun with friends and after school sports but i'm going to miss this server a lot .since I was 7 this has been my favorite server, I found it on planet Minecraft looking for a fun survival server to play and this was my favorite server ,its sad to me that I keep slowly drifting away from it. I wish Darcraft could stay but all good things come to an end. I have one thing to thank you for though, thanks for entertaining me through my 7,8,9,10 year old self. <3

Darren likes this.
  10. ARC Berry

ARC Berry Active Member

(are you sure this wasn't a late april fools joke?) :[

11. BoxManBoss

BoxManBoss New Member

Its been a very long time since I played Darcraft on the regular but I remember it very fondly. I'm not sure if many of you will remember me but I was the box wearing a suit.

Good luck out there Darren thanks for the good times

Darren likes this.
  12. CloudBerryDragon<3

Damn. I remember ages ago my friend telling me of this cool Minecraft server they found, and how active and nice everyone was. I joined around March 2014, I think, when i was 11 or so. I've made so many good friends and it's truly been an honour to play with all of you guys. Truly some of the best moments of my life have been on this server, and I never fail to look back at it with fondness and nostalgia. Even now, seeing everyone's usernames with such happy memories associated with them. It has been truly sad to see how little everyone is on nowadays, but I'm glad we could grow up together. I still remember CBDArchitects, and mining out spaces for people for those sweet sweet rupees. Thank you Darren for such a great experience, I'll be sad to see it go.

Darren likes this.
  13. Brookee

Brookee Professional Nerd
    Staff Member Moderator

During the 95 days of playtime I have played on Darcraft I met some amazing people, made some amazing memories, and had so much fun. From racing boats in spawn to annoying staff, the past 6 years have been amazing on here. I will never forget meeting HappyPuffles and Copegirl and staying up all night on skype with everyone. I too am glad we could grow up together from different sides of the world. When I joined I was 13 and had nothing better to do with my time than to play with you guys. I am now 18 and I'm working on my paramedic license. I want to thank everyone for allowing me to be a part of this amazing community and I want to thank Darren for all hes done to keep the server together.

- Brooke <3

Mathias likes this.
  14. Sans

Sans New Member

I remember 15 year old me playing all night on this server 4 years ago and now im 19 and in the U.S. military. I've made a lot of friends and broke a lot of friendships on this server but it will always have a place in my heart. Thanks Darren for being a awesome server owner for the best server i ever played on.

Darren likes this.
  15. xXrod31Xx

xXrod31Xx Member

I remember being on 5th grade when i started playing this server. Made many friends and memories, but i moved on and stopped playing, it's just life. Thank you Darren for it.

Darren likes this.
  16. xXrod31Xx

xXrod31Xx Member

17. xXrod31Xx

xXrod31Xx Member

Can you say a definite date of the closure? Sure would be nice to be there for the last time.

18. Darren

Darren DaRr3n911
    Staff Member Owner

I can’t - yet. The issue is that I need to shut down the server during my finals week, so it’s going to be difficult to figure that all out. A good estimate would be Friday, May 3rd.

19. knightslap12

knightslap12 Leader of all.

20. Lachrox

Lachrox New Member

Ever since I migrated from x128's server after it was shut down in 2013, I have loved this community. I may not have been an active part of it of recent, but the friends I've made. The structures I've built. The laughs that were had. I can never forget it. I can never forget the people I interacted with. Acerbrine, Tina, Nojonuggets, Franche. So many amazing people I met and played on a Minecraft server. Thank you Darren. Thank you and your server, for playing such a role in my life. I won't forget it. I kinda wanna leave this with a good ol' quote from The Office.

"I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them." - Andy Bernard